Boys In The Boat: Review

Boys in the Boat didn’t get a lot of attention when it first came out, but did it deserve it?
Boys In The Boat: Review

“The Boys in the Boat” is a movie set against the backdrop of the Great Depression and World War II. “The Boys in the Boat” is a breathtaking film that shows the power of grit, determination, and brotherhood. Directed by the legendary actor and producer George Clooney, this cinematic masterpiece takes you on a thrilling journey that will leave you on the edge of your seat until the end. If you plan to watch this movie, prepare to be amazed by the inspiring story of a group of underdogs who defied all odds to become Olympic champions and inspired a nation in the process. 

Credit: Seattle Refined

Overall, the movie’s plot corresponds very well with the Three-Act Structure (Setup, confrontation, and resolution) The different parts of the plot are very clearly separated and the time each part of the plot takes up in the movie makes for a compelling narrative. The setup takes place the majority of the time in the United States. The setup begins with the students trying out for the rowing team. Only eight of them make the team and the ones that do make it end up forging a bond with each other that will carry them through all of the trials and tribulations that they will come to face. They begin to go through grueling training together, which begins to drive apart their bond as they move on to the 1936 Olympic Qualifiers. After that, they move on to the confrontation, which takes place in Nazi Germany. And to find out what happens after that, you’ll just have to watch the movie. 

Some of the most interesting parts of the movie are the behind-the-scenes of the movie. One of the amazing behind-the-scenes facts is that the cast actually learned 8 Man Crew rowing to be more immersed in their roles. Speaking of the cast, this movie features an amazing roster of both seasoned and rookie actors. The main character, Joe Rants, is played by Callum Turner. Callum Turner is known for his roles in all three Fantastic Beasts movies when he played Theseus Scamander. Turner does not disappoint in this film, he delivers heavy emotion and creates an overall dramatic film. It is amazing to see the entire cast’s skills come together for a great movie. And yes, I do think it was a great movie.

Although some other critics are quick to criticize many parts of the film, I do not think that the movie deserves all of it. The Boys in the Boat, when you boil it all down, is just a good ol’ historical biography that checks all the right boxes. While it may not be perfect, it is an unapologetically formulaic tale of triumph against the odds.

View Comments (2)